Pythonwin and .NET

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 10 13:54:17 EDT 2001

On Friday 07 September 2001 18:51, you wrote:

> I honestly do not know where Python and Perl really will fit in this new
> world.  .NET imposes certain requirements on programs, so that the
> benefits of .NET can be realized.  However, these requirements can often
> work against languages such as Python.  The dynamic and introspective
> nature of Python is unlikely to be able to be exploited, unless .NET
> itself grows these same capabilities - and when .NET grows them, we can
> expect C# to also grow them.

And if Python doesn't grow them, it will undoubtedly languish in the dust
heap of "other" languages.  How popular Python would be today without a Win32
port?  While many of us may not _like_ Windows, we ignore it at our own
peril.  With the push Microsoft is giving .NET, it's definitely going to be
adapt or die time for many existing technologies.

> So if .NET has all the features necessary to allow Python to be fully
> utilized by other .NET languages, many shops will simply choose to use
> these other languages instead of Python - braces aren't *that* bad :)

As they often choose other languages today.  I don't think the question is
whether people writing in other languages can access Python, but whether
Python can access the services of other languages.

Regards,

--
Cliff Wells
Software Engineer