Is Python fit for multi-tired apps?

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Wed Sep 19 20:12:57 EDT 2001

"Eike Kock" <ekock at movatis.com> wrote in message news:<9o7lvv$170$01$1 at news.t-online.com>...

> Disappointed with J2EE I looked for possible alternatives and found Python.
> What a cool language! I did'nt expect to find a .Net or J2EE like framework
> but found typical multi-tired app functionality like object distribution
> mechanisms (Pyro, CORBA ORBs).

You might also look at OSE. OSE is actually C++ at its core but with a Python
interface. OSE contains a distributed messaging system with request/reply and
publish/subscribe interfaces exposed by the Python API. It also includes a
distributed service registry allowing you to know what other service components
exist in the system etc. Because C++ is used in the core, you can combine
services written in either Python or C++ into the one distributed application
or even the same process. In some respects, the features of OSE as exposed
through the Python API can be likened to a simpler distributed Java bean
framework. As to interaction with the system, there is a HTTP servlet framework
and interfaces for RPC over HTTP protocols such as XML-RPC and SOAP.

OSE can be found at "http://ose.sourceforge.net". The documentation for the
Python interfaces is more up to date than that for the C++ components, so if
you look through that it will give you the best idea of what the system can do.