Difference pythonw.exe / python.exe !

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Thu Sep 6 15:06:01 EDT 2001

nikolai.kirsebom at siemens.no (Nikolai Kirsebom) writes:

> I observe that when the application is run with 'python.exe applic.py
> ...' searching works, however when the application is run with
> 'pythonw.exe applic.py ...', searching fails (does not find matches).
> Does anyone have an idea ?

The biggest difference between python and pythonw is the lack of a
console, which may affect some underlying operations you perform
(e.g., prior to Python 2.0, os.popen would no longer work).  So if you
depend on such functions they may be failing to operate properly under
pythonw.

Your best bet would be to add some appropriate diagnostics to your
application (if you've already got stuff going to stdout/stderr, you
can just enable the automatic output window in wxPython by using an
argument of 1 when initialization your application object), and then
compare that output in the two cases to determine where they diverge.

--
-- David