New Python WebMail app

Aaron Fransen aaronf at NOSPAMtelusplanet.net
Sat Sep 15 13:29:31 EDT 2001

Funny how it's always the little things that get you!

Advice taken and done, so there's now a text file (a script more or less?)
that can be fed to the mysql command line to create the database and all the
tables.

Thanks for the help Ignacio.

"Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams" <ignacio at openservices.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Aaron Fransen wrote:
>
> > I see your point, but GoMail does support Netscape and others, just not
for
> > the HTML crowd.
> >
> > In terms of it's usage, it's designed for companies where they don't
want
> > their users using something like HotMail per se, but want them to have
> > access to a browser based mail client. Specifically this applies to
> > companies employing thin clients as a desktop solution (as my employer
does)
> > rather than PCs.
> >
> > Were it not for that single fact, you would be absolutely correct! I'd
> > checked out a bunch of other web clients, including ones I could tie
into my
> > mail server, but frankly didn't like the functionality of any of them.
> > That's why I wrote it. Beside, I got to learn Python in the process :)
>
> With that in mind I downloaded GoMail and looked through some of the the
> documentation. I'd like to discuss it further, but off-list. Not because
it's
> disparaging or hurtful, but because it's off-topic.
>
> One thing I would like to talk about on the list, however, is the fact
that
> you provide binary MySQL databases for download. Not only does that
restrict
> you to MySQL, but that also restricts you to a subset of MySQL versions. A
> better option is to provide DML scripts to create the database and tables
and
> populate them with data.
>
> <plug>
> One tool that I have found extremely useful for the creation of DML
scripts is
> phpMyAdmin. It is a web-based administration tool for MySQL written in
PHP. It