Zope problem with directory structure

Lee Harr missive at frontiernet.net
Sun Sep 9 17:58:08 EDT 2001

On Sun, 09 Sep 2001 02:49:34 GMT, Ken Egervari <ken at positive-edge.com> wrote:
> One of the problems I've been having is this backwards way of including
> files (or dtml variables).  Usually I would have a site structure like (from
> a PHP environment that is)
>
> / (index and few other files)
> /css (stylesheets)
> /src (all site source code)
> /src/data (data access components)
> /src/application (everything to glue the application's presentation and
> data)
> /src/presentation (usually templates that construct base html pages as well
> as interfaces to application code)
> /graphics (images and sub-dirs for specific type of graphics)
> /lib (all my library code that I can reuse)
>
> Now, with zope, I understand that you have to put things that are common in
> the / directory of Zope.  Well, in my current website directory structure,
> that would basically be a lot of stuff that would be unorganized.  Is there
> anyway to just call /graphics/imageObject directory?  I don't want to have
> to make all my pages have graphics and associate files in the common folder
> that it's associated with because 9 times out of 10, it really doesn't
> belong there since I need it somewhere else too.

You could do the same thing with Zope.

Instead of calling (for instance)
<dtml-var image>
and just acquiring image from the root directory, you could do
<dtml-var "imageFolder.image">
and acquire the imageFolder, then get the image from there.

The learning curve for Zope is oddly shaped. It is actually quite
flat right at the start. I work with students who have 0 experience
with web design, but with Zope I can get them started in no time.
I don't have to teach them about FTP or templating or programming.

To get comfortable with all of the power of Zope takes time,
though. If you are really interested and have more questions,
I suggest you join the zope mailing list.