Why so few Python jobs?

Dave Swegen dswegen at allstor-sw.co.uk
Mon Sep 24 15:48:05 EDT 2001

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 11:25:22AM -0400, David Lees wrote:
> My small company now has about 8 software engineers and an equal number
> of hardware types.  I have found a lot more interest in Python among the
> hardware types (FPGA, board layout..) than the software types.  The
> software engineers almost all know perl and I have been in a constant
> battle to be allowed to use Python.  It is a chicken and egg issue that
> boils down to maintenance of deliverables and inertia.  I come from the
> optics/engineering world rather than computer science and picked Python
> on my own as a prototyping tool (I don't know perl).  If schools start
> using Python in big numbers, perhaps the popularity issue will be
> solved.

At my workplace python is viewed with extreme suspicion by the
software engineering people for one simple reason: They're extremely
suspicious of the indentation issue (see my earlier post on this).
Apart from that they think it seems like a fine language. Ho hum. I'll
get there in the end.

Cheers
	Dave