Python descendant to Perl?

Jim Weirich jimweirich at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 4 16:26:01 EDT 2001

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.999279407.2366.python-list at python.org>...
> [Jonas Bengtsson]
> > Is Python a descendant to Perl? I thought it was the other way around.
> > http://www.clug.org/presentations/oodemo/oofamily.html

Wow.  You never know when things you do years ago might turn up. (This
is at least 2 years old, maybe older).

> Perl's OO features were added later in Perl's life, and Larry Wall studied
> Python's object model closely before designing Perl's (they have a lot in
> common under the covers!).

Exactly!  Although Perl predates Python, Perl's object model was
stolen almost directly for Perl (although you would never guess it
from the syntax).

> WRT the diagram, Smalltalk really had scant *direct* influence on Python; it
> would be better if it showed Python inheriting from Modula3 instead (which
> latter should surely be *somewhere* on the diagram; and Java should descend
> in part from Modula3 too).

I put Python under Smalltalk because it was dynamically typed and
supported non-inheritance based polymorphism.  After becoming more
familiar with both Python and Smalltalk, I see there are some
differences in their object model.  But it still seems to be a
reasonable fit.  If someone can make a reasoned argument for something
different, I'm willing to consider it.

Regarding Modula 3, I was a big fan of Modula 2, but never followed
Modula 3 development.  Can you give a brief overview of the modula 3
object model?  (e.g. static or dynamic typing, MI or not, inheritance
required for polymorphism or not).

Thanks for the feedback.

--
-- Jim Weirich (jweirich at one.net)