references/pointers in Python?

Chris Barker chrishbarker at home.net
Wed Sep 12 15:36:45 EDT 2001

Anton Lavrik wrote:
> > > Generally, I want to define a referce to an integer, or to the
> > > identifier, that holds it.

Why?

> And does this all mean that I should move on to Perl or any other
> language, if I need effective implementation of references :) ?

I think you'd be better off stating the problem that you are trying to
solve, rather than your proposed solution. That way someone here can
offer a Pythonic approach to solving your problem.

Clearly, Python does not offer a way to do what you want to do in the
same way that Perl does. In general, when you move to a new language,
you should expect that. Step back and think about your broader problem,
and then see what Python has to offer.

And yes, if you want to write code that is just like Perl, you should
use Perl!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,