optimization issues on an SGI system

Mats Wichmann mats at laplaza.org
Sun Sep 2 11:32:29 EDT 2001

:It would also be nice if SGI added Python to their compiler regression
:suite, since, IIRC. no release of Python has ever worked 100% right on an
:SGI box due to -O bugs (which vary across both Python and SGI releases).
:
:BTW, I don't mean to impugn the SGI compilers:  they have more -O bugs than
:most because their optimization is more aggressive than most.  OTOH, it's
:not my job to fix their bugs either <wink>.

Maybe someone's listening there. I don't believe any of the folks I
knew there are still around.  I hovered around SGI for a number of
years working on a consortium project of which SGI was a big piece
(not working /for/ SGI but /at/ SGI).  Tim's quite right: the compiler
group has some excellent minds, and they were always pushing the
envelope; the optimizer problems seemed to stem from that.
Nonetheless, anyone who's seriously tried to use SGI compilers has a
few burn marks.  Too bad...

Mats Wichmann