appropriate graphics Lib?

Pete Shinners pete at visionart.com
Tue Sep 4 18:40:32 EDT 2001

Bob Roberts wrote:

> I want to write a program that involves drawing irregularly shaped
> objects on the screen, selecting them with a mouse, and changing their
> color.  What would be an appropriate graphics library for this?
> pygame?  pyOpenGL?  wxPython?  Others?

pygame might not be the best fit here. it does have code to draw
irregular polygons, but you'd need to do your own intersection
tests for them. (although if you only care about bounding-box
type selection it could be your friend)

i hear tkinter has a pretty powerful canvas widget that i
supports these things. i'm guessing wxPython would have
something like that too.

pyopengl can also do selection, but it'll be more complex
than doing it with one of these higher level canvas widgets
you get with some gui's