Platform indenpendant programming

Gerhard Häring gerhard.nospam at bigfoot.de
Mon Sep 10 07:46:14 EDT 2001

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 10:32:04 +0200, Pete <piotr-bandur at vertel.pl> wrote:
>This will be about standard modules included in Python.
>Is there a way to make sure that Python scripts will run on both Win & UNIX
>platform? Something like: 'import something' that warns me when I use
>platform dependant module? I know that everything is in docs but... you
>know...

No such thing exists currently. Even worse, it can happen that in certain
modules, some methods are missing on certain platforms.

I experienced this in the socket module, where the poll() stuff isn't available
on Windows (and maybe even not on on all Posix OS).

Btw. you could add this as a feature request for PyChecker on its Sourceforge
page.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    public key at homepage