large class hierarchies in python

Alex Martelli aleax at
Mon Sep 10 10:43:56 CEST 2001

"Justin Dubs" <jtdubs at> wrote in message
news:9nhhn5$g1o$1 at
> I"ll dive into Haskell/Forth/Miranda/APL and see what I like.  I also want
> to do a little Scheme and Eiffel at some point.  Thanks a lot for the
> suggestions.
> Do I appear to be missing any categories of languages?  I have the basic
> Functional, Scripting languages covered, I think.  Thanks again guys,

If you dig into Haskell, I don't think you need Miranda too -- once
you know Haskell well you can peek at and see if
Miranda has anything further, but I
strongly doubt you'll find anything really different.  Rather, you might
look into ML, both Standard (SML) and French-dressing (OCAML) -- _they_
are quite different approaches to FP, being strict (non-lazy) by default
(and OCAML in particular has accreted lots of other stuff on top).

APL has basically evolved into J, as far as I know -- key difference
being that you don't need a special keyboard and font, but rather can
do APL'ish unreadable superpowerful oneliners with pure ASCII:-).
Sorry, I don't know where to find a J interpreter -- the
archive seems empty, the one at Waterloo, disappeared... (?)

You appear to be missing the category of languages focused on
concurrency/distribution.  Those and many other similar issues
are well covered in Mozart,, which
appears to be a VERY interesting language/system.

I think you should also look into Dylan,
It doesn't really introduce many deeply new concepts when compared
to Common Lisp (does ANY language?-), but it's wrapped in somewhat
conventional syntax and focuses on very specific, interesting issues --
multi-dispatching, optionally-static typing for performance, an
interestingly novel module-system, highly-hygienic macros.