RM Connect and Python

Gerhard Häring gh_pythonlist at gmx.de
Fri Sep 28 15:00:00 EDT 2001

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 07:36:18PM +0100, Ben Ainsworth wrote:
> I'm trying to persuade the school I teach at to place Python on the network
> as I'd like a real programming language for my teaching. However the IT
> staff tell me they have problems with many programs and the RM Connect
> software they use for security. Does anyone have experience of installing
> Python on a network that uses RM Connect?

I dont't have any experience with the two. I even wasn't aware what RM
Connect is until 5 minutes ago :-) But it seems to be a network security
software that is able to selectively allow internet access.

There are enough Windows programs nowadays that "call home" even when
you didn't explicitely allow them. RealPlayer is a prominent example. Or
the AutoUpdate or licence check features of some software. If I
understand the RM Connect site correctly, their product doesn't allow
such unwanted internet connectivity.

As far as Python is concerned, it doesn't do any internet connecting or
stupid LAN browsing or such on itself. Neither do the popular Python
IDEs like IDLE or PythonWin.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id 86AB43C0