Why so few Python jobs?

Hans Nowak hnowak at cuci.nl
Tue Sep 25 02:01:49 EDT 2001

On 23 Sep 01, at 17:14, tszeto wrote:

> I looked into Python in 1998 and think it's great. I've also read glowing
> reviews about the language. But I remember searching Python on Dice.com in
> 1998 and coming up with 8 results. Today the results are about 90. Even
> though that's over a 11 fold increase, compared to Perl, it's really
> nothing.
>
> Any ideas on why so few Python jobs are available?
>
> Thanks,
> Ted

This probably doesn't apply for all software shops, but my experiences are the
following:

1. They don't know Python exists. This is mostly due to the fact that
everybody's eyes are looking at M$ (and, to a lesser extent, Inprise/Borland).

2. If they are confronted with Python, people (in the shops mentioned above)
often reject it, based on bogus reasons. The one I heard was "it's not
maintainable", meaning that the (short) Python scripts I wrote could not be
maintained once I had left. Of course this is a blasphemy in front of the Snake
-- calling Python unmaintainable. I guess they presume that anyone would have
to study for months (or years) to become even slightly proficient with the
language. (Of course, this same argument suddenly becomes irrelevant when M$
pulls out something new... then everybody is willing to learn. <frown>)

That was a manager's response, but developers are reluctant too, e.g. because
they consider it a "toy" language, and/or because it's interpreted. They
probably think it's like the old GWBasic they used, or it's general prejudice,
like "it cannot be any good if it's not compiled".

I suspect that many people don't use Python for these reasons. There's not much
one can do against prejudice. :(

Veel liefs,

--Hans Nowak (zephyrfalcon at hvision.nl)
You call me a masterless man. You are wrong. I am my own master.
http://www.pythonic-delights.com