Why so few Python jobs?

Hans Nowak hnowak at cuci.nl
Tue Sep 25 08:01:49 CEST 2001

On 23 Sep 01, at 17:14, tszeto wrote:

> I looked into Python in 1998 and think it's great. I've also read glowing
> reviews about the language. But I remember searching Python on Dice.com in
> 1998 and coming up with 8 results. Today the results are about 90. Even
> though that's over a 11 fold increase, compared to Perl, it's really
> nothing.
> Any ideas on why so few Python jobs are available?
> Thanks,
> Ted

This probably doesn't apply for all software shops, but my experiences are the

1. They don't know Python exists. This is mostly due to the fact that
everybody's eyes are looking at M$ (and, to a lesser extent, Inprise/Borland).

2. If they are confronted with Python, people (in the shops mentioned above)
often reject it, based on bogus reasons. The one I heard was "it's not
maintainable", meaning that the (short) Python scripts I wrote could not be
maintained once I had left. Of course this is a blasphemy in front of the Snake
-- calling Python unmaintainable. I guess they presume that anyone would have
to study for months (or years) to become even slightly proficient with the
language. (Of course, this same argument suddenly becomes irrelevant when M$
pulls out something new... then everybody is willing to learn. <frown>)

That was a manager's response, but developers are reluctant too, e.g. because
they consider it a "toy" language, and/or because it's interpreted. They
probably think it's like the old GWBasic they used, or it's general prejudice,
like "it cannot be any good if it's not compiled".

I suspect that many people don't use Python for these reasons. There's not much
one can do against prejudice. :(

Veel liefs,

--Hans Nowak (zephyrfalcon at hvision.nl)
You call me a masterless man. You are wrong. I am my own master.