Identation idiocy (was Re: Why so few Python jobs?)

"Jürgen A. Erhard" juergen.erhard at gmx.net
Sat Sep 29 20:45:16 EDT 2001

    Peter> Dave Swegen wrote:
    >> At my workplace python is viewed with extreme suspicion by the
    >> software engineering people for one simple reason: They're
    >> extremely suspicious of the indentation issue [...]

    Peter> Personally, I read about the indentation "issue" before I
    Peter> even saw Python, thought "neat!", and decided to give it a
    Peter> chance.

As I read this, I remembered my reaction to the indentation issue:
"Occam used that too, and I thought it was cool then, so why shouldn't
it cool now?"  (BTW, I never had occasion to use Occam, just read
about it in a series of articles about the "Transputer" chips in the
german magazine c't)

BTW, the thing that sold me to Python: "This looks like the pseudocode
I always wrote!".  (I've seen this mentioned in the past, but haven't
seen it in quite a while, so I thought I'd bring it back just this
once).

Bye, J

--
      Jürgen A. Erhard  (juergen.erhard at gmx.net, jae at users.sf.net)