unicode mystery

Paul Prescod paulp at ActiveState.com
Wed Sep 12 16:45:28 EDT 2001

Alex Rice wrote:

> I don't know where else to ask- this is only kinda about Python :-)
>
> I have some unicode chars- python unicode objects- the source of these
> chars is MSWord docs using the "Symbol" font.

I think the Symbol font is just not a Unicode font. Look in the Windows
character map. Here's a hint. In the bottom left-corner, some fonts have
their ordinals described like this: "U+0021" but Symbol has them just
described as "0xCF". Also, the unicode fonts associate names with
characters (again in the Character map). Symbol does not. Finally, I
used some tools to look inside the Symbol file and it has "Product Name"
of "Microsoft® Windows(TM) Operating System" and "Product Version" of
"3.10". I think this means that the font hasn't been upgraded since
Windows 3.1!!!

You need to switch to a Unicode font if you want to use Python's Unicode
features.