Proposed PEP for a Conditional Expression

Michael Abbott michael at
Thu Sep 13 18:12:04 CEST 2001

Erik Max Francis <max at> wrote in
news:3BA0CE45.6084487 at

> piet at wrote:
>> > The colon is too overloaded in C, but the semicolon isn't?  At least
>> > one semicolon appears in every C statement.
>> False! The semicolon is used to make a statement out of an expression.
> How does that contradict what I said?  What I said was completely
> accurate.  Each statement contains at least one semicolon.

Not quite (though the observation that semicolons convert statements to
expressions isn't quite complete, either).  Consider:

    	if(expression) {}

However, I have to admit I can't think of a *useful* statement which
doesn't contain any semicolons, and the only omission from the statement
above is that the semicolon is also required to complete variable and
struct/class declarations.