Creating EXE file from Python

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Wed Sep 12 07:59:06 EDT 2001

"Benjamin Schollnick" <junkster at rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
news:junkster-928BC2.05490412092001 at typhoon4-0.nyroc.rr.com...

> Run, don't walk and pick up Gordon Mcmillians Installer package.
> Very versatile, and generally simple....
>
> PY2EXE is also another choice, but it's more complicated than
> the Installer package.

My impression of these two excellent packages is just the
reverse -- I see py2exe as much simpler, since it fits in
the distutils framework, which is so indispensable anyway.

If my application doesn't do anything funny, I just stick
an import py2exe in the setup.py I would have for it anyway,
and voila, I can now build a self-contained Windows EXE as
well as all the other forms for deployment.

OTOH, Gordon's installer also supports non-Windows platforms,
which is a VERY nice plus of course:-).

Alex