Proposed PEP for a Conditional Expression

Michael Chermside mcherm at destiny.com
Sun Sep 9 10:42:49 EDT 2001

Included in this email is a PEP which I am putting together dealing with
the idea of introducing a conditional expression into Python. I would
welcome any discussion, suggestions, and/or help, sent either to this
newsgroup under this topic, or emailed to me at <python at mcherm.com>.

For the sake of full disclosure, I'll also express my own opinion here
(I have tried hard to keep the PEP evenhanded). With reference to the
PEP, I find ARG_1, ARG_3, and ARG_23 unconvincing, while ARG_21, ARG_22,
and ARG_3 all make sense to me. But for me, ARG_24 is the overwhelming
point and convinces me that adding a conditional expression would be a
good idea. I prefer the syntax of SPEC_2, but am certainly open to other
ideas.

I encourage others to let me know (in a form similar to the above) what
they find convincing or not, and please suggest new arguments that I've
missed.