Why Tcl/Tk

Andrew Markebo flognat at flognat.myip.org
Sat Sep 15 15:36:22 EDT 2001

I have seen a couple of answers to this question and I would like to
throw in an answer..

Basically Python and Tkinter existed before you could even think of it
on windows! What happened was that someone who needed good GUI-stuff
did Tkinter.. And it went into python..

Later on python started to be able to compile on dos/windows, but no
tcl/tk..

Later on tcl/tk was ported to windows, and wee it was no big problem
getting Tkinter to work.. And it is now in everybodys (well
almost.. ok.. my) spine..

Well so what is the answer.. Well people have used python a long time
on Solaris, Linux, Windows, Mac... Palm.. And during much of this time
Tkinter have been for most of these platforms, while GTK+ is new, and
well there aren't so many seniors using it..

Compare it with windows.. why are so many using windows when there are
lots of stuff "generally considered more powerful than" it ;-)

        /Andy

--
 The eye of the beholder rests on the beauty!