shelve vs pickle

Sheila King sheila at spamcop.net
Tue Sep 18 17:58:19 EDT 2001

On 18 Sep 2001 14:27:12 -0700, wilson at netvmg.com (Wilson Yeung) wrote in
comp.lang.python in article
<ffc650ae.0109181327.7078a8ba at posting.google.com>:

:I've had good results with the Sleepycat/Berkeley DB via the
:Python interface pybsddb as my underlying store, together with
:the pickle module.

I am also using Sleepycat as my underlying store, but I was using shelve
to access it (instead of pickle).

This thread has really given me pause, and I thought I had spent quite a
bit of time beforehand reading Python books (which play up shelve quite
a bit...such as Programming Python). Now I'm not sure if I'm handling my
data in a safe way.

By the way, does your Sleepycat have multiple writer support? Or do you
have to do you own file locking type of stuff? Or, is it not an issue
for your program?

In a couple of weeks, I'm definitely going to take a look at this ZODB.
I hope it will be fairly easy!

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/