debugging a c module?

Agent Drek drek at
Thu Sep 6 00:57:06 CEST 2001

I've made a loadable module to speed up a portion of a python program
that I'm working on. Once in awhile (1 time out of 10) I get a core
dump on exit from the interpreter "Abort (core dumped)". I'm pretty sure
that this is because I've screwed up a reference count somewhere in the

How do I go about debugging this? I'm using Python-2.1.1 on FreeBSD4.x.

Recompile python and the module with debugging? gdb?

This small problem aside, the C/API is great to work with! There are
lots of useful docs explaining how to write the modules I just haven't
found any that talk about the debugging process.

   Derek Marshall
Smash and Pow Inc > 'digital plumber'