Is Python fit for multi-tired apps?

Markus Schaber markus at schabi.de
Fri Sep 28 04:25:53 EDT 2001

Hi,

Graham Dumpleton <grahamd at dscpl.com.au> schrub:

> steven_shaw at users.sourceforge.net (Steven Shaw) wrote in message
> news:<503ca784.0109262310.461e0dd8 at posting.google.com>...
>> grahamd at dscpl.com.au (Graham Dumpleton) wrote in message
>> news:<dc6f5c99.0109191612.5763a09f at posting.google.com>...
>> > OSE can be found at "http://ose.sourceforge.net". The documentation
>> > for the Python interfaces is more up to date than that for the C++
>> > components, so if you look through that it will give you the best
>> > idea of what the system can do.
>>
>> As I understand it, OSE cannot be used with proprietary applications.
>> Probably something that needs mentioning up front when you are
>> promoting it.
>
> What you say isn't strictly true. OSE uses the Q Public License (QPL),
> an Open Source license, which if you read it properly can be used in
> proprietary applications provided that you aren't distributing that
> application in which case you would need to provide your source code
> for free.

The same applies to the GPL, as far as I remember.

You have to provide the source code to those people who get the binary.

So for in-house use or willing customers, nobody else gets the source.

Whenever a community wants to have something "for internal use" only,
nobody can force them to give GPL'ed products to the outer world, thus
making it "practically" closed source.

There's only one advantage to commercial licenses: Every user also gets
the right to access the source, and so is independent of the vendor
whenever the vendor decides not to support the product any more. (But
even this is limited to three years according to 3) b) in GPL 2)

Note: This should _not_ be an argument to make you use the GPL, simply
a description of a fact that lots of Open Source fanatics don't know
(or ignore).

markus
--
"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of
each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty