Compiling a subset of Python

Gerson Kurz gerson.kurz at t-online.de
Mon Sep 10 11:24:13 EDT 2001

Has anybody tried to write a native c compiler for a restricted subset
of Python?

In my naive view, some things obviously are not easily compiled (such
as exec() and eval()), and some constructions (such as modifying
globals() etc.) I don't really need if I get a compiler for a subset
that fits *most* needs instead.

So, can somebody please explain explicitly *which* constructs are
actually responsible for python lacking a compiler?

Also, are there any more detailed sample programs for the inspect
module?