Best way to learn Python?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Sep 23 09:48:46 EDT 2001

Sam Scholey wrote:

> Hi Again, I have read material online from many excellent linux hackers that
> the best way to learn code is first to read code then write code, and not
> books. Is this true? Are any of you completely self-taught and fluent in
> Python?

I'm "self-taught" (originally), and believe that butchering somebody
else's code first (that's actually reading *and* writing code)
is easily the best way to get started in a language.  I don't knock
books however.  I "learned" C originally by reading the C Bible, long
before I had access to my first machine with a C compiler on it
(PDP 11/23).  I learned BASIC before that by hacking programs like
Star Trek to give me infinite shields, unlimited range phasers,
and heat-seeking photon torpedos that never missed. :-)  It's a good
technique.  (I wouldn't say don't read a tutorial first, mind you.
You'll find a good one in the Python download.)

The key thing is simply to _do_ something.  Doesn't matter what,
because whatever you start with is never going to be finished,
probably won't work, and will be looked back on with a wry grin
when you eventually realize how little you really knew.  :-)

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com