Why so few Python jobs?

David Lees joeoptics at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 24 11:25:22 EDT 2001

My small company now has about 8 software engineers and an equal number
of hardware types.  I have found a lot more interest in Python among the
hardware types (FPGA, board layout..) than the software types.  The
software engineers almost all know perl and I have been in a constant
battle to be allowed to use Python.  It is a chicken and egg issue that
boils down to maintenance of deliverables and inertia.  I come from the
optics/engineering world rather than computer science and picked Python
on my own as a prototyping tool (I don't know perl).  If schools start
using Python in big numbers, perhaps the popularity issue will be
solved.

david lees

--
debl