COM and printing an Acrobat

chris liechti cliechti at no.spam.gmx.net
Tue Sep 18 15:18:12 EDT 2001

[posted and mailed]

Robin Becker <robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in
news:VMhkEsAVOop7Ewfu at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk:

> In article <cLzOLLA1Gro7EwmO at gol.com>, Ian Parker <parker at gol.com>
> writes
>>
>>I'm working on a little python program to print the contents of a
>>directory whatever (within a limited range) the type of documents
>>contained within.
>>
>>Rather to my surprise it's easy, using win32com, to print Word, Excel
>>Powerpoint and Viso files
>>
>>Unfortunately, I'm a bit stuck on how to print Acrobat files.  Acrobat 4
>>provides an ActiveX control intended for use in IE, but I'm stumped how
>>to make use of it to print.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>

> under unix printing pdf can be done using the acroread program and
> command line options. It's more difficult with win32. I have used a
> sendkeys like approach to get the default menus to work. The 4.0 reader
> under windows has quite an extensive COM interface, but it's pretty bad
> at real automation.

have a look at www.ghostscript.com too. this ps and pdf viewer can be
driven by command line and can print or create images from the input files.
there is a freeware version and a commercial one.

"gsview" is the program you want, but you need the ghostscript library too
to run it.

--
chris <cliechti at gmx.net>