Why so few Python jobs?

Tim Hammerquist tim at vegeta.ath.cx
Mon Sep 24 17:17:16 EDT 2001

Me parece que brueckd at tbye.com <brueckd at tbye.com> dijo:
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Dave Swegen wrote:
>
> > At my workplace python is viewed with extreme suspicion by the
> > software engineering people for one simple reason: They're extremely
> > suspicious of the indentation issue (see my earlier post on this).
> > Apart from that they think it seems like a fine language. Ho hum. I'll
> > get there in the end.
>
> Ask them to name a modern programming language where indentation is *not*
> significant. They'll bite and say, "Duh! Java, C, C++". Then counter by
> saying, "So, in that language nobody has ever done:
>
> while (i < 5)
>   x++;
>   y++;
>
> or
>
> if (i < 5);
>   x++;
>
> (considered to be "classic" bugs, no?). Or, ask them that if they'd
> tolerate it if you wrote code like this:
>
> void myfunc() {
>   a++;
>       b++;
> c++;
> d++;
> e++;                 }

A good argument.  One of my favorite things about Python is that I never
run the risk of having to maintain code like this:

sub myfunc {
do_stuff();
do_some_more_stuff();
$screw = with @some_variables;
for $item (@some_variables){
do_stuff();
and_some_more(); }
do_a_bit_more();
blah;
}

...and so on.  There are far too many _commercial_ Perl scripts that use
this.  I don't know if this was intended for intentional obfuscation, or
just a very poor sense of style on the coder's part, but it's
disgusting to me regardless of whether perl parses it correctly.

</rant>

Sorry. =)

[ snip another great argument ]

--
Windows 98 is *NOT* a virus - viruses are small and efficient.