Proposal: add vector arithmetic to array module

Paul Rubin phr-n2001 at nightsong.com
Tue Sep 25 11:43:22 EDT 2001

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com> writes:
> Use NumPy -- can't be suppressed <wink>.  Why do you think NumPy is a big
> package?  Doing this right is neither simple nor lean, and as soon as one
> array op is added, the rest are inevitable.

Huh?  Adding pointwise addition means you have to add eigenvalues?

The reason I don't want to use NumPy is that it isn't included in
standard Python distributions.  It's yet another thing for the user
to download, and it's maintained and distributed by a separate group
of people than the Python maintainers.  All in all, it's harder to
deal with and there's more ways to go wrong.

If NumPy became part of standard Python, then I'd happily use it.

> See PEPs 209 (multidimensional arrays), 211 (outer product) and esp. 225
> (elementwise operators) for the things of this ilk currently on the table.

Will do.