Python descendant to Perl?

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Sat Sep 1 07:55:29 EDT 2001

Tim Peters <tim.one at home.com> wrote:
> [Jonas Bengtsson]
>> Is Python a descendant to Perl? I thought it was the other way around.
>> http://www.clug.org/presentations/oodemo/oofamily.html

> Perl's OO features were added later in Perl's life, and Larry Wall studied
> Python's object model closely before designing Perl's (they have a lot in
> common under the covers!).

> WRT the diagram, Smalltalk really had scant *direct* influence on Python; it
> would be better if it showed Python inheriting from Modula3 instead (which
> latter should surely be *somewhere* on the diagram; and Java should descend
> in part from Modula3 too).

Would you say there should be an arrow from Python to C as well? You'd
think Python's first implementation language has had some influence on Python,
though since I'm not familiar with Modula3 I'm not very capable of
determining which features that would be (outside the obvious += and such).

Regards,

Martijn