Read Matlab files with Python and Numeric?

nmw at ion.le.ac.uk nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Mon Sep 24 12:03:40 EDT 2001

I've had a few requests for this, so I've tarballed the source and put it on
our FTP server. It's part of a much, much larger project, but I've extracted
the relevent bits and put them together in the tarfile.

You can get the tarball from ftp://ion.le.ac.uk/matfile/matfile.tar.gz.

To build the module extract the tarball - it will create a directory called
matfile containing the source. Edit the Makefile and change the location
of the Python and Numerc header files and libraries for your system, the
macros which need changing are PYTHON_INLUCDE and PYTHON_LIBDIR and
PYTHON_LIBS.

Type "make" and it should build the matfile library first and then the
matfilemodule.so.

Oh, BTW, I should say that this is set up for Linux. No-one has mentioned
environment. For other *NIX systems it will be necessary to change some
of the compiler/linker options for building and naming shared objects.
I don't have a clue what would be necessary for a Windows environment.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523568, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555