Why so few Python jobs?

David B Terrell dbt at meat.net
Mon Sep 24 19:39:41 EDT 2001

Dave Swegen <dswegen at allstor-sw.co.uk> says:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 11:25:22AM -0400, David Lees wrote:
>> My small company now has about 8 software engineers and an equal number
>> of hardware types.  I have found a lot more interest in Python among the
>> hardware types (FPGA, board layout..) than the software types.  The
>> software engineers almost all know perl and I have been in a constant
>> battle to be allowed to use Python.  It is a chicken and egg issue that
>> boils down to maintenance of deliverables and inertia.  I come from the
>> optics/engineering world rather than computer science and picked Python
>> on my own as a prototyping tool (I don't know perl).  If schools start
>> using Python in big numbers, perhaps the popularity issue will be
>> solved.
>
> At my workplace python is viewed with extreme suspicion by the
> software engineering people for one simple reason: They're extremely
> suspicious of the indentation issue (see my earlier post on this).
> Apart from that they think it seems like a fine language. Ho hum. I'll
> get there in the end.

Well, it is something of a pain.  I was about to reject using python
server pages because of it.  Then I decided to put any code that
required indendation in a backing class, not in the page itself.

--
David Terrell            | "Instead of plodding through the equivalent of
Prime Minister, NebCorp  | literary Xanax, the pregeeks go for sci-fi and