Python on OSX

Steven Burr sburr at nospammac.com
Sat Sep 15 00:41:39 EDT 2001

In article <mailman.1000429096.11955.python-list at python.org>, Brian
Quinlan <BrianQ at ActiveState.com> wrote:

>  > Are there any "gotchas" when compiling Python on OSX? Is
> > there a how-to someplace?
>
> Read the README file that comes with the Python source/cvs. There are
> a few switches that you have to pass explicitly to autoconf but other
> than that everything works fine.

There are also two alternatives to compiling Python yourself.  From the
MacPython page there is a link to a precompiled version.

Or you can try "fink," a very nifty program that automates downloading,
compiling and installing an ever-expanding list of open source Unix and
X Windows applications for Mac OS X. http://fink.sourceforge.net/   It
installs Python 2.1 by default, but will install the latest alpha or
beta of 2.2 if you follow the instructions for installing the
"unstable" version (truly a misnomer in the case of 2.2).  It includes
two different versions of each:  one for those who have installed X
Windows and want to run Tkinter programs and another for those who
don't.

Before fink came out with a 2.2a3 package, I was compiling Python for
OSX myself in order to build in Tkinter and command-line history
support.  Although it's not that hard if you follow the instructions in
the README, fink makes it a snap, or at least did for me.