what encoding is this? How can I tell? How can I translate?

Werner Schiendl ws-news at gmx.at
Tue Sep 25 12:53:59 EDT 2001

Hi,

> Regardless, most of the latin-based encodings use the full range of
> 256 bytes, yet they all differ from latin-1 (unless they are identical
> to latin-1). Therefore, all of them, without exception, have characters
> that cannot be transformed to UTF-8.

I guess this is just a typo, but of course you can transform _any_ known
encoding to Unicode (without loss of information).
And since UTF-8 is capable of encoding the whole Unicode range, it of course
can encode all characters from the encodings you mentioned.

Moreover, UTF-8 is designed for maximum compatibility with legacy 8 bit
code.
E. g. it is guaranteed, that there will be no superflous control codes in
the data stream.

kind regards
Werner