Is xmlrpclib slow?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu Sep 27 12:59:52 EDT 2001

    Kent> It can be extremely slow with a lot of tags....

    Kent> So I would recommend that one consider bundling up the data into a
    Kent> simple data type before sending with xmlrpc.

How about first encoding your data using marshal or cpickle, then passing it
as base64?  Would only work for Python-to-Python servers (and sort of
destroy the whole idea of XML-RPC), but might improve performance
substantially...  That improves my dump/load test script substantially:

    cb40507-d:tmp% python testxmlrpc.py
    testing with xmlrpclib 0.9.8
    using FastParser
    413 dumps per second