Suggestions for simple persistance in a web app?

Steve Holden sholden at
Tue Sep 4 01:36:21 CEST 2001

"Kevin Dahlhausen" <kdahlhaus at> wrote in message
news:283adf56.0108270848.3b9d159e at
> Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ignacio at> wrote in message t.
> > Also, I'm curious as to why you say that you can't use a database
server. You
> > mention "loading a complete database into memory".
> .
> >Please> explain what you mean.
> There's a few reasons why I was hoping to avoid a database server. I'm
> learning Webware and wanted to eliminate learing the database server
> on top of that.  I don't believe the ISP I would like to deploy it to
> provides access to a database, at least not without extra $$$, which
> means more hassle for me as I'd have to get approval for the extra
> money. It would have to come eventually, but for not I"d like to
> procastinate a bit on the database side and design the app!
> I mentioned 'loading into memory' as I because while gadfly seems like
> a perfect solution, when I lasted looked at it it loaded the whole
> database into memory.  Althought that might not be too bad  for
> development, then switch to a full-fledged database later. (Just
> checking with Chordate, Gadfly still loads the entire database, but it
> shouldn't be a problem until you approach tens of thousands of rows).
> Anway, it seems like the best bet is look into the Webware-friendly
> ISPs.

You should be aware that if you use Gadfly you'll end up using pretty much
the same interface as any other SQL-based database. So, it won't save you
any learning, but at the same time there's less rewriting to do when you
migrate to a full RDBMS.