Using Python for Science: Cygwin versus Native

Tom Hoffend trhoffend at
Wed Sep 26 19:53:37 CEST 2001

Chris Barker <chrishbarker at> wrote:
> gb at wrote:
>> I'm trying to switch from Matlab to Python + Numeric for my research
>> work. The number of choices required is bewildering.

> This really sounds to me like you need Linux!

> If you really need to interact with Windows apps, you may be able to use
> Wine, VMware or Win4Lin.

> Linux really is a much better platform for Scientific computing... why
> do people put so much effort into making Windows look/act like *nix,
> when they could just run *nix??

Because a lot of us are creating tools for non-math/numeric people with
math/numeric stuff inside, and those people all have Windows machines.

Otherwise I don't disagree with you.

Thomas R. Hoffend Jr., Ph.D.                    EMAIL:  trhoffend at
3M Company
Optical Markets and Technologies
Display Materials Technology Center
3M Center Bldg. 201-1C-18                       My opinions are my own and not
St. Paul, MN 55144-1000                                 those of 3M Company.