google, Python, and eleven (was Re: google and Python ;-)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Sep 22 20:10:56 EDT 2001

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Sep 2001, Peter Hansen wrote:
>
> > I get 11700 hits from
> > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=readable+powerful+dynamic+programming+language
> > and 1580 hits from
> > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=readable+powerful+dynamic+programming+language+python
> >
> > Not sure what that means... that Python constitutes only 13.5% of
> > readable, powerful, dynamic programming languages?
>
> No, it means that 86.5% of all programmers are wrong ;)

Heh heh... actually, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=programming+language
returns 1,810,000 hits, which really means that 99.9% of programmers are
"wrong" because they avoid not only Python, but all "readable, powerful,
and dynamic" programming languages!

:-)

Continuing that _other_ silly thread:

>>> def numerology(s):
...     f = lambda x, y : x+y
...     return reduce(f, map(int, str(reduce(f, map(ord, s)))))
>>> numerology('readablepowerfuldynamic')
11
>>> numerology('Perl')
7
>>> numerology('Python')
12
>>> numerology('Ruby')
13
>>> numerology('Smalltalk')
15
>>> numerology('TCL')
11

I'm going to start using TCL since clearly it is more readable,
powerful, and dynamic than Python or the others!

(First serious application in which I've managed to use
map, reduce, and lambda all together... ;-)

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com