pymacs! :-)

Andrei Kulakov sill at optonline.net
Sat Sep 8 20:27:48 EDT 2001

On 7 Sep 2001 23:13:48 +0200, Carel Fellinger <cfelling at iae.nl> wrote:
> Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> wrote:
>> "Carel Fellinger" <cfelling at iae.nl> wrote in message
>> news:9n5pch$806$1 at animus.fel.iae.nl...
> But this only enhanced my second problem, being that I regularly
> forget to enter insert mode when I start inserting after a short pause
> and give all kinds of commands instead. Or forget that I left insert
> mode and start adding some spurious command letter(s) to my writings.

This happens very rarely to me, not enough to really bother me but enough
to make me wonder why there isn't an option to make the status bar
different colors in different modes, for instance green in insert and blue
in command mode. That could be very helpful to newbies and pro's alike.

> Besides, studies in the UI design field showed that modes are
> troublesome, some people can cope with them, but must just get lost.

Modality is everywhere, the real issue imho is making it obvious which
mode the user is in, and make mistakes as harmless as possible. Vim is
fairly good on both counts, although as I mention above the former can be
more noticeable, but the latter.. I never lost anything because I thought
I'm in the other mode, the only thing that annoys me and should be fixed
imho is that when you hit caps lock accidentally, commands do unexpected
things. I got tripped up on that a few times.

- Andrei
get it at: cy.silmarill.org