Pythonwin and .NET

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 9 05:48:48 EDT 2001

Maan Hamze wrote:
> Microsoft lacks the power of introspection and imagination to take
> advantage
> of different languages.  It is a field that is strewn by unfinished

Watch out against rampant generalization.  Microsoft employees these days
include guys such as Luca Cardelli -- remember, "Microsoft Research" is a
powerhouse including most of the people who once did research for DEC.

Large companies with fat profit margins can afford splendid research
outfits -- it's quite possible that the company as a whole lacks the
imagination &c to take advantage of their bright lights in research (just
see what AT&T/Lucent, Xerox, DEC, and so some extent even IBM [about which
I cannot be equanimous, since I _did_ use to be in IBM Research:-)] did in
the past...).  But it's not always so... the .NET Framework (as opposed to
other, vaguer parts of the .NET "vision") was designed with lots of input
from very bright guys & gals in MS Research, other research outfits (e.g.
the Mercury language guys from Australia), and brilliant practising
engineers such as Hejilsberg (the guy who once thought up Turbo Pascal,
then later Delphi and the VCL).  Don't underestimate the power of money to
attract very good researchers and more generally very bright people:-).

Alex