Python for SysAdmins

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Sep 24 09:11:23 EDT 2001

[David Cinege]

> On Sunday 23 September 2001 1:04, A.A wrote:

> > I'm contemplating writing a (python) module that contains functions
> > necessary for common system administration tasks.

> Hmm probably not, as very few sys admin tasks fit inside of any type
> generic scope.

Mark Burgess's `cfengine' defines a generic enough scope for sysadmin tasks,
in my opinion.  I once rewrote those parts of `cfengine' I needed in Python,
and found this experience pretty satisfactory.  Python is much, much more
maintainable than C for the task (`cfengine' has been a bit flaky for me).
As the thing is driving a lot of IO, Python is speedy enough as well...