Migrating from PHP to Python...

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ignacio at openservices.net
Sun Sep 2 21:15:17 EDT 2001

On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, Rick Shin wrote:

> Ignacio:
>     Assuming you use Python for web work, how do you decide when to use it
> over PHP?

You see, that's the thing. we (the company I work for) _don't_ use it for web
work; we use it for the e-mail broadcast daemons (no, we _don't_ spam...) as
well as the various database monitoring processes. The only thing we use for
web work is PHP.

Python has such things as the smtplib module which allow us to connect
directly to the recipient's SMTP server so that we can get instant failure
notification via an exception instead of having to wait for a failure e-mail.
That way we can build a PHP front-end to view the results of the mailings.

Also, if anyone's interested, I haven't quite notified the maintainer yet, but
a couple of months ago I made some changes to MySQLmodule 1.4 if anyone's
interested. There are still problems, but at least the damn thing works...

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams  <ignacio at openservices.net>