Pythonwin and .NET

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Mon Sep 10 05:39:00 EDT 2001

"Mark Hammond" <MarkH at ActiveState.com> wrote in message
news:3B9C6FF6.7070901 at ActiveState.com...
> years.  I would be interested to know what percentage of Java users have
> used, or are even aware of Jython.

Considering that Bruce Eckel's books are (deservedly) best-sellers,
and that he touts Jython in his latest "Thinking in Patterns", I
think at least "are even aware of" side of thing is well-placed.  As
for "have used"... no idea.

>   We all thought just a few years ago that these COM capabilities would
> help make Python a serious contender on the Windows platform - but many

And it does, mind you -- technically, it shines.

> years on, I still shudder to think how few VB programmers in the larger
> corporate shops have even heard of Python.

So maybe we need good marketeers more than we need technical improvements.
Of course, good marketeers are just as rare in the open source world as
they are in the world at large;-).

Alex