Request for advice - python, wxpython, Jython, java

Kenneth Tsang smt at pacific.net.hk
Sat Sep 8 02:43:33 EDT 2001

Hi, I am currently working on an applications that has the following
criteria, please advice what's the most effective use of the above
technology, Python is on the list because of the amazing capability, and
'battery included' features (i think this is the best description)

a)multiple language support
b)cross-platform support
c)ease of deployment - as it has to be used in different countries
d)short development time

Could someone advice the best architecture of using Python, 'cos it seems to
be one of the best choice here.

a)wxPython has used for building some windows GUI, which is really
impressive as lots can be done within a day, windows GUI is chosen because
the application may involve lots of analysis (involve drag and drop..)

b)should part of the code be in Java, for future expansion (esp. on
integration with other systems), and for scalability!?

c)if b) is chosen, how about the choice between Jython and CPython? I have
to go with Jython!? But will this imply that I can't use wxPython!?

d)If I chose a thin client (browser based) approach, what is the
configuration required? Pls advice, as I haven't gone into this area...(And
will it has deployment issue!? need lots of IT support)

The concern is that though Python is powerful? should we code everything in
Python? (even you have to choose between CPython and Jython)

Thanks in advance.

cheers, Kenneth

Kenneth Tsang
email: smt at pacific.net.hk tel: +852 9468 4772