New Installation

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Sun Sep 16 01:08:55 EDT 2001

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Ben Ocean wrote:

>Hi;
>For some reason I can't build the latest stable python on my RH62 server
>with the rpm (if complains of dependencies, but they're installed). So, I
>resorted to the tar file and did tar, ./configure, make, make install.
>Everything appeared to go perfectly until I typed python into the command
>line. Up popped 1.5.2 What did I do wrong?

Probably your python lives in /usr/local/bin. Try to run:

/usr/local/bin/python

ALso, try to use socket module: I bet it is broken!
If so, you may need to put this:

#define NO_IDEA

into file /usr/include/openssl/evp.h
just before third line of code, that is, before this:

#ifdef  __cplusplus

If you want to have python in /usr/bin, you need to
./configure --prefix=/usr

BUT BE WARNED: some program could stop working!

>BenO

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd at onego.ru _/
_/ Sunday, September 16, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/