Python descendant to Perl?

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Sat Sep 1 17:55:37 EDT 2001

[Martijn Faassen, on
 http://www.clug.org/presentations/oodemo/oofamily.html
]

> Would you say there should be an arrow from Python to C as well? You'd
> think Python's first implementation language has had some
> influence on Python, though since I'm not familiar with Modula3 I'm not
> very capable of determining which features that would be (outside the
> obvious += and such).

Ya, C is where Python got declarations, curly braces, and mandatory
semicolons <wink>.  Really, its influence on the language proper was usually
in a "run away screaming from" direction.  Its influence on the Python
*library* was huge, though, and C's I/O model was stolen whole.  Curiously,
C also had and retains huge influence on literal notations (would anyone in
their right mind *choose* to make 010 mean something different than 10?  no,
therefore we blame C -- it's convenient <wink>).

there-aren't-enough-arrows-in-the-world-to-trace-all-the-influences-ly
    y'rs  - tim