COM/CORBA/DCOP (was: Hello people. I have some questions)

Martin von Loewis loewis at
Tue Sep 4 11:21:05 CEST 2001

Paul Rubin <phr-n2001 at> writes:

> What exactly does the ORB do in this situation?  I thought the ORB
> runs in a separate process and the client process always calls the ORB.

No. The ORB doesn't actually "run"; it is a library that offers some
management API. How this API is implemented is entirely up to the
implementations. Many will special case colocated calls and avoid
atleast going though sockets; they will typically avoid marshalling;
they will sometimes avoid argument copying (although there are cases
where CORBA requires argument copying). Some may even hand the
implementation objects to the client code, although this likely won't
fully conform to the spec.