language lawyering - doc strings

gcash gcash at
Sat Sep 1 01:23:19 CEST 2001

"Tim Peters" < at> writes:

> [gcash]
> > I know this is being pedantic, but where's the syntactical spec for
> > documentation strings in the language reference?
> I don't think there is one!  They're ordinary string literals, of course,
> and must be the first non-blank non-comment statement at the top of a
> module, or following a class or def stmt.

Yah, I know... I just noticed that nowhere did it say I could do this.

And heck, until now I didn't know I could put one at the top of a module.

Favorite god: Thor               Favorite song: "Hammer Time"
Motto: "Use a bigger hammer"     In my toolbox: 1 screwdriver, 6 hammers.
Often heard saying: "... then I used a hammer on it"