ACCEPTED: PEP 285

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Apr 6 00:06:21 EST 2002

In article <Xns91E7CD754DB67JamesLLugojcom at 216.148.53.84>,
James Logajan  <JamesL at Lugoj.com> wrote:
>Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> You could have typed the code in to Python 2.2 and gotten
>> your answer.
>
>Therein lies the problem: I typed it into Python 2.1 and naturally it
>didn't work. I loaded 2.1 onto my laptop mid-year last year to be "up to
>date" and I see that less than a year later my version is out of date. (By
>comparison, my Linux machine still has 1.5.2 so I can do version checks.)

Python 2.1 (particularly 2.1.2) is a fine release.  There's no
compelling reason to upgrade unless you care about the type/class
unification.  But it's foolish at best to stick your nose into a thread
about language changes without finding what the current state of the
language is.

You seem to make a habit of irresponsible posts.  (Remember your actions
in the comp.distributed brouhaha?)

>Seriously Guido, how often will I need to check back to www.python.org to
>keep up with the changes you are making? Do you have a schedule or some
>constraints in place on how fast you are releasing major versions?

The current standard is approximately one release every six months.

"There are times when effort is important and necessary, but this should
not be taken as any kind of moral imperative."  --jdecker