What is free software? [Re: Licenses and Open Source don't conflict.]

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at vier.idi.ntnu.no
Mon Apr 15 07:42:05 EDT 2002

In article <7xelhhmq5e.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>, Paul Rubin wrote:
[snip]
>The non-GPL-ness of Python is a main reason I don't have much interest
>in doing significant development work on the Python implementation
>(though I'm willing to make smaller enhancements to fill my own
>requirements, and send in the patches).  On the other hand, Python's
>non-GPL may have attracted some corporate development money, so it's a
>trade-off.  And of course some volunteers do contribute heavily.  It's
>a decision everyone has to make for themselves based on their own
>priorities.

Well -- the Python license is GPL-compatible, so couldn't you just
release a GPL'ed version of it, if that would make you happy? Of
course, the original would still be freely available without the added
burden of the GPL restrictions, but if you're really interested in
freedom, that shouldn't bother you...

<duck and cover>

--
Magnus Lie Hetland                                  The Anygui Project
http://hetland.org                                  http://anygui.org